I recently had to have my pupils dilated for a test with the eye doctor. It is a relatively simple process; they put some drops in your eyes, you wait 20 – 30 minutes and then your pupils are dilated enough that they can take snapshots of the back of your eyes so they can see all the blood vessels and veins and such. While it doesn’t hurt, it was a little uncomfortable for me because…well, your pupils aren’t supposed to let in that much light.
While this was going on it got the wheels turning in my brain and I was thinking about how cool it would be if there were some drops you could put in your eyes and you would see things more clearly. Not just more light would be let in, but everything would be seen like it was in HD. Imagine the possibilities:
· If you misplaced something, you’d be able to see it quicker. No more lost keys, cell phones, or kids.
· When you went shopping and tried on that outfit you “just have to get”, you would see that although it looks great on other people, it just doesn’t look so good on you.
· When your kids came to ask for something, you’d know right away if they were up to something. You’d see it in their eyes.
· When you asked your kids a question about a test at school, or if they had any homework, they wouldn’t be able to lie. Again, you’d see it in their eyes.
· When you got lost driving and didn’t have a GPS, you’d clearly see the way you needed to go to get back on track.
· Before you put any junk food into your mouth, you’d see what it was going to do to you – both now and in the future.
· You would be able to see what is important in life.
That would be awesome, wouldn’t it? Or would it? I started thinking some more and realized that in addition to seeing all those things, you’d see a lot of other things, too, because those drops would allow you to see much clearer than you do now, such as:
· When you asked someone how they’re doing and they said they were doing fine, you’d see that they’re actually not doing very well and maybe even in a lot of pain.
· You would also see that many people that have a big smile on their face are actually crying on the inside.
· You would see that some people that seem to have it all together are hiding something that would tear their world apart if it ever got out.
· You wouldn’t be able to fool yourself any more and you’d see that maybe your own life wasn’t what it was cracked up to be.
· You would be able to see that some of the things you thought were so important in life really aren’t important at all.
I like to think that I have good insight into people, but I definitely don’t pick up on a lot of things. I’m not sure I’d really, truly like to see everybody exactly as they are and everything exactly as it is – the good, the bad and the ugly. I wouldn’t mind the good, but I’m not sure I’d want to see the bad and the ugly, especially in myself. As with the amount of light being let in by my pupils in the dilation test, I don’t think I could handle that much.